What is Root Cause Analysis (RCA)?
Root Cause Analysis (RCA) is a method that helps you do an objective and sytematic search
for underlying causes of an incident or quality problem.
RCA does NOT address liability. Its premiss is that an incident is the undesired unintended
outcome for all involved. The goal is to learn and improve.
Why use Root Cause Analysis (RCA)?
Unfortunately there is no better motive to improve and change than a hard confrontation
with a complaint, quality problem or safety incident.
The more the impact, the more everyone feels the urgency.
The important advantages of Root Cause Analysis (RCA):
- RCA does not stop with the causes closest to the incident. It looks for underlying
organisational, technical and human causes.
- RCA does not try to find someone to blame. Do you employ criminals and saboteurs?
When undelying causes are not addressed, it will go wrong again with other people involved.
- No method and structure during investigation and analysis leads to a questionable diagnosis.
RCA provides structure and techniques to make the causation visible, indisputable and persuasive.
- You do not want to be the only one that understands what caused the problem.
RCA results are persuasive, because the structure of the problem is proven by logic and
- RCA is not limited to large (costly) problems. The intensity of the RCA scales up and down
with the magnitude of the problem.
- RCA can be applied to safety incidents, customer complaints or quality
problems about products, machines, process installations, customer service, software, projects,
health care and many more.
Root Cause Analysis is a powerful and proven method that is invaluable to continuous
safety and quality improvement.
In-company workshop RCA
Do you wish to have problem detectives available in your company?
Contact us for a training at your location.
Support with Root Cause Analysis?
Do you need (online) support applying Root Cause Analysis to a difficult,
sensitive or costly incident?
Raadix.com software supports Root Cause Analysis. The software offers an easy
way to document the investigation and analysis of incidents, complaints and